ALAMO CHAPTER 366
VIETNAM VETERANS OF AMERICA
All scholarships awarded will be awarded only one time to recipients.
The Scholarship year is considered the school year, fall through spring (generally September through May). The years coincide with the scholastic years, Freshman through Senior.
EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS
Applications should be turned in by the end May and they will be reviewed in early June of each year with the results being announced at the August chapter meeting. Shortly thereafter, letters will be sent to all applicants notifying them of the results with checks also being sent to the institution the applicant has selected..
Applicants will be evaluated based upon completeness of their application and their grade point average. They, obviously, must demonstrate the potential ability for completing post high school education.
DISBURSEMENT OF SCHOLARSHIP FUNDS
Scholarship funds will be disbursed to the educational institution. It should be noted that if funds are disbursed directly to the student, VVA is required by Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations, to complete an IRS form 1099 indicating that the student has received a specific amount of money, send one copy to the student, and one copy to the IRS.
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicant must be registered to attend a minimum of half time (as determined by the institution), an accredited educational/technical college or university or post-secondary institution.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must submit 3 copies of the following by May 31st (of each year):
- A complete application form.
- High school or college transcripts.
- Photocopy of SAT, ACT, or other acknowledged testing source results.
- Letter of acceptance from a college, university or post-secondary training institution.
- Academic standing for the year prior to application for the scholarship.
- Two letters of reference from current or former teachers, academic advisors, employers, ministers, etc., attesting to applicant’s character.
- A letter in the applicant’s own words, expressing current educational goals and objectives, individual accomplishments and any other personal information that may assist in the selection process.
All correspondence and questions concerning the Scholarship Program should be directed to:
Ed Stitler, firstname.lastname@example.org
Manuel Trevino, email@example.com